Thursday, May 10, 2018


Come on people! This IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

Look, I fully understand writing the perfect query letter is tough. I fully understand trying to understand what is hot and what is not in the publishing world is something even Stephen Hawking would have run from. BUT, reading what and editor or agent wants in a submission is not that difficult.

In the past week, I have received multiple submissions and letters from authors who openly state that they have read over my guidelines but really don't know how to submit the material. What is even scarier is that these are email directly from my website.

Let me show you something. This is a screenshot from my one of my submission pages:


I tried to make this as simple as possible...

But wait, there's more. Should you use the form I have provided you would see this.


Again, this is not that hard.

Fill in what you have and hit submit. Please also note the word count on this form? You would not believe the number of people who submit projects that are well below 75,000 on the word count. You would not believe the number of people who, instead of putting the Premise of the Story in the box, will simply cut and paste and entire synopsis (again, see the word count) or even the story.

Yes I know this is a bit of a rant, but I am not the only person out there. We are all seeing this with submissions.

Following directions is a major skill that agents and editors are wanting to see in an author. When we send revision material, we so want to make sure you can take those steps.

I understand that you have been taught to ask if something is unclear, but, for the most part, submission guidelines are easy. Just read! You might find the number of rejections will decrease a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment